Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spagio - Grandview Heights


Spagio is a restaurant in Grandview Heights which serves European and Pacific Rim Cuisine. I've been wanting to try it out ever since I found out that they have a gluten-free menu. Two weeks ago I had my chance - it was the restaurant my friend, Brittany, chose for her bachelorette party!

Let's pause this restaurant review to congratulate Brittany and Matt - who got married on March 7th! Best wishes from Cbus52!



Ok, back to the food! Since going gluten-free, I always try to review a restaurant's online menu in advance. I was really impressed by the variety of dishes available for gluten-free diners on Spagio's Gluten-Free Menu. The Crab & Avocado Salad, Pan Seared Sea Scallops, Skuna Bay Salmon and Pasta Jardiniére all sounded delicious! I decided to try the Pasta Jardiniére - it sounded wonderful! Then I realized that there are two pages to the gluten-free menu, not just the one. I scrolled to the second page and saw gluten-free pizza! That poor pasta dish never stood a chance. My love of pizza trumps my love of all other foods - except for coffee and chocolate. Now the question was - which pizza to order? Out of the ten different options, I thought seven of them sounded amazing! I decided to wait and make my choice at the restaurant.



That evening Spagio was packed! We were lucky to have reservations or I'm not sure how long our wait for a table would have been. The restaurant has a very eclectic style, hammocks hung from the ceiling above our table. On display were a wide variety of different styles of art - we saw a glass bowl by Dale Chihuly and a wooden sculpture of a pig thrust through a wall of the restaurant (one table sat under his head on one side of the wall, the other table was privileged with the pig's rear end).



I ended up ordering the Spagio Four Cheese Pizza which came with mozzarella, cheddar, gruyère and gouda cheeses! I also ordered Chef Hubert's Delight, a coffee cocktail with espresso, Godiva white chocolate liqueur, rum and whipped cream.  My pizza was very good, and extremely cheesy! The crust was a little softer than I prefer, but other than that it was delicious. I was not a fan however, of the coffee cocktail, it was too strong for me. I would have preferred more espresso and less rum.



The other ladies in our party ordered pizza (also the Spagio Four Cheese), Beef Tenderloin with a potato soufflé and sautéed brussels sprouts, Chicken & Spinach-Filled Ravioli and salads. Everything looked delicious and we had a really nice time with the bride-to-be. I will have to come back to Spagio to try that gluten-free pasta... or a different gluten-free pizza!

Spagio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment