Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Late Night Baking - Gluten-Free Thunder Cupcakes + Recipe


10:30pm may not be late to some - but my bedtime is usually between 10 and 11pm, including some time to read before lights out!  But... I've been craving Thunder Cupcakes ever since we made Thunder Cake in Culinary Creations camp last week!  


I got a late start on the cupcakes and realized partway through the recipe that my notes were not accurate from the last time I made these chocolate beauties (rule #1 in ALL baking - keep detailed notes!).  I didn't write down that the batter is super thick, nor did I note the correct time (I adapted a gluten-free Thunder Cake recipe to cupcakes so the baking time is a bit shorter than the original recipe), or the fact that the recipe makes 12 cupcakes plus enough batter for a cute little mini cake.  I promise when I update this post with the recipe - it will be accurate and up to date!

I adapted my from recipe from the recipe found in the back of the book, Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco, and from this recipe on Life is Still Sweet.

Thunder Cake (or cupcakes) is fantastic and a must try for summer!  

Thunder Cupcakes (Gluten-Free)
Makes 12 cupcakes, plus one mini cake

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (two sticks)
1 ½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 cups quinoa flour*
1 cup sweet sorghum flour*
½ cup tapioca starch*
½ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum**
1 teaspoon salt

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with liners.  Grease a small glass container using canola oil.  Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light.  Add the vanilla and the eggs.  In a separate bowl, mix the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend until just combined.  Add the tomato puree and mix well.  Spoon batter to the top of 12 cupcake liners.  Add the batter to the prepared glass container.  Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes and the mini cake for 32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Optional - dust with powdered sugar and top with a strawberry before eating!


*Use 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour if not making gluten-free.
**Omit if not making gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment