Monday, September 2, 2013

Pumpkin Feast Begins + Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe


Fall is by far my favorite season!  My two favorite holidays are in the Fall (Halloween and Thanksgiving) and the cooler temperatures mean I can wear my favorite sweaters and hats while hiking and enjoying the changing leaves.  The absolute best thing about this season, though, is the food!



My favorite Fall flavor is and always has been pumpkin. Even though the official start of Fall is still twenty days away, I'm starting "Pumpkin Feast 2013" today (Starbucks is already selling their well-loved Pumpkin Spice Latte so I'm not too early to be thinking about pumpkins, right?)! Pumpkin Feast is pretty simple, I try to make as many dishes that include pumpkin as possible during the fall and winter season. This includes  sweet and savory recipes.  This is the fourth year we've had our own personal Pumpkin Feast at home and I'm looking forward to trying some new pumpkin foods!

If you'd like some ideas for pumpkin recipes, check out my "Pumpkin Feast" board on Pinterest where I save all of the pumpkin recipes I want to try.


The pumpkin pancakes above were adapted to be gluten-free from Pumpkin Pancakes from AllRecipes.com.  They were delicious with butter and maple syrup, but I'm still making some adjustments to the recipe.  I'll post it to the blog when I'm happy with it!


What are your favorite pumpkin recipes?


September 11, 2013 Author's Note: Here is the revised version of the recipe, made gluten-free!


Pumpkin Pancakes 

Makes 6 large pancakes 

Ingredients: 

½ cup brown rice flour 
¼ cup sweet sorghum flour 
¼ cup cornstarch 
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
½ teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon xanthan gum 
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 
¼ teaspoon salt 
¾ cup milk 
½ cup pumpkin puree 
1 egg 
1 tablespoon canola oil 
1 tablespoon lemon juice 

Directions: In a bowl, combine the flours, cornstarch, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, pumpkin pie spice and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, canola oil and lemon juice.  Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.


Adapted from Pumpkin Pancakes from AllRecipes.com.


You can make your own pumpkin pie spice, I prefer this recipe from Annie's Eats. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment