Friday, December 27, 2013

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency


My favorite book series is the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. The above photo is of the most recent book, The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon. This series takes place in the African country of Botswana. The main character, Mma Ramotswe, is the proprietor of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I love to read these books in the winter, when Ohio is cold and gray because Botswana is warm and bright and Mma Ramotswe is so cheerful. The books follow her as she solves big and small cases for her clients and as she goes through her day to day life. It also includes her tangential thoughts and musings, which I love! I often find myself getting carried away with my thoughts, just as Mma Ramotswe does. Other characters in this series include Mma Ramotswe's secretary, Mma Grace Makutsi, Mma Ramotswe's friend and the best car mechanic in Botswana, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, his apprentices Fanwell and Charlie and Mma Ramotswe's friend and the matron of the local orphanage, Mma Potokwane. The characters in the novels are so real I fully expect to meet them when I finally travel to Botswana (some day!). 

If you'd like to read my review of this particular book in the series, please read it here on LibraryThing. I don't want to give away any spoilers if you decide to read the series! I also recommend checking out the HBO series, No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I think the characters were very well cast and they are who I imagine when I read the series (Jill Scott plays Mma Ramotswe perfectly!). 

I also love the covers of all of the books - they are gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment