Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Yogurt + Recipe


Today I made a fruit compote which I then pureed for fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt!  I used strawberry and rhubarb for the fruit and vanilla Greek yogurt (store-bought, I'm not DIY savvy enough to make homemade yogurt... yet).

I hybridized two recipes to come up with my strawberry-rhubarb yogurt, Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote from Low Fat Cooking on About.com and How to Make Your Own Fruit-Bottom Yogurt from Simple Bites.


My recipe is below - it turned out great and I can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow!  This would also make a delicious and healthy, gluten-free dessert! 

Strawberry-Rhubarb Yogurt (Gluten-Free)

Ingredients:
~2 cups cut strawberries
~2 cups cut rhubarb
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1-2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolve in a little water)

Directions:
Mix strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and orange juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about seven minutes, or until fruit is soft.  Mix cornstarch with a little bit of water, and add to mixture.  Take off the heat and allow to cool.  Once mixture is cool, puree in a blender until smooth (optional).  Refrigerate.  Add desired amount of fruit mixture or puree to yogurt.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. OOOh this sounds really good! I love strawberry rhubarb and have never seen it with yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I wanted to make my own strawberry rhubarb yogurt after trying Noosa yogurt which has a strawberry rhubarb flavor that is amazing! http://www.noosayoghurt.com/

      Delete