Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ajiri Tea

Trying out my Ajiri hand knit hat - it's warm and comfy!

I discovered Ajiri Tea last summer when stopping at Winans Fine Chocolates & Coffees in German Village for some coffee. I picked up a box of rooibos (ROY-bus), which is a delicious red, caffiene-free tisane (a tisane is an infusion of herbs, it's not tea because it doesn't come from the tea plant, Camellia sinensis). Rooibos is my favorite non-caffeinated beverage and I thought the boxes were beautiful. They are handcrafted in Kenya by women from dried bark and banana leaves. Ajiri, which means 'to employ' in Swahili, is a company in Kenya that provides employment for women and an education for orphaned children through the sale of their tea and coffee. 



After I read about Ajiri online, I followed them on Facebook, where they often post about the women and children they are working with and tea related quotes and images. Last month they asked their followers to post a photo of their favorite Ajiri box to win a free hand knit hat. I quickly shared my photo of the tea I bought last summer and earlier this week a box from Ajiri arrived at my door. In addition to the awesome hat (I love to wear gray and now have two gray hats to choose from!), I was also given a new box of rooibos, a banana leaf collage and some more info about Ajiri. It was a very welcome surprise! After I finish this box, I'm going to try some of their black tea, they have black tea with lemon, mango and ginger - which all sound delicious! 

If you're looking for a new tea or coffee to try (or gift - Valentine's Day is next week!), consider checking Ajiri out! Their mission is to provide much needed employment to women in Kenya and education for orphans. Right now they are employing 63 women and supporting 26 students in school!

Keeping warm with my new hat - and tea in the crazy winter we're having in Columbus!

No comments:

Post a Comment