Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Jackfruit!


I tried fresh jackfruit for the first time today! Jackfruit is the world's largest fruit that grows on a tree - and it kind of looks like a gigantic hedgehog. Our local Market District Kingsdale had fresh jackfruit in the store over the weekend so I grabbed a small cut piece to try at home. 


I followed directions I found in this blog post, How to Prepare a Jackfruit (Kha-nun ขนุน), on the blog, SheSimmers. Jackfruit has a lot of latex in it which is hard to wash off of skin and utensils so I oiled my hands (and knife) with canola oil. Cutting up the jackfruit was an oily, cold mess, but it was still a cool experience! The fruit reminds me a lot of mango in taste, though the texture is firmer. The seeds are really cool too - they remind me of tiger's eye gemstones!

I love trying new fruits and vegetables - what's your favorite exotic fruit or vegetable?

No comments:

Post a Comment