Friday, April 4, 2014

Exercises for the Family – Hiking

Scenes from Hayden Falls (left and top right) and Battelle Darby Creek (bottom right)

To help educate and inform the public on important health issues, the Columbus branch of the American Heart Association is collaborating with local bloggers to share their stories about heart heath and their own nutrition and fitness tips. March was nutrition and fitness month and I will be sharing my favorite tips for exercising with your family.

My favorite way to exercise is hiking! Hiking is a great way to spend time outdoors and get some wonderful exercise. Hiking can easily be tailored to fit any age or fitness level. It is accessible to young children, older adults, those who are very physically fit and those who are just starting an exercise program. I love hiking because it doesn't take any special equipment and it is much easier on my shins and ankles than running (read about my thoughts on running and about my Mom and sister's experience running the Columbus Marathon). The only supplies you need to go hiking are a pair of good hiking shoes or boots and a water bottle. Be sure to always dress appropriately for the weather!


Roses at Columbus Park of Roses and scenes from Battelle Darby Creek (including a brown snake!)

I love spending time in the woods, taking in the sights, sounds and smells! Hiking is a great way to connect with nature and spend time with your friends and family. My favorite places to hike are Battelle Darby Creek and Three Creeks metro parks and Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. Hiking frequently at the same park is a great way to observe the changing of the seasons and to get to know the wild plants and animals that make their home in central Ohio.


Hocking Hills is beautiful no matter what season!

I have reviewed some of my favorite local hiking spots on Cbus52. Click on the name of a park or garden to read more:


What are your favorite hiking spots in Columbus?

No comments:

Post a Comment