Monday, April 7, 2014

Gluten-Free Cream Biscuits for a Rainy Day + Recipe


I was craving biscuits and soup after being out in the cold rain today. I'm grateful it's not snowing, but I'm tired of the clouds and cold! I'm hoping for warm and sunny spring days. Until then, I have warm soup and these gluten-free biscuits.

These biscuits remind me a lot of how I remember Bob Evan's biscuits tasting (it's been a long time since I've had the real deal). I love the texture and flavor! They're light and flaky - perfect with a pat of butter! This recipe is also very easy to make. I took The Kitchn's recipe How To Make Cream Biscuits In Less Than 15 Minutes and swapped the all purpose wheat flour for gluten-free flours and added a little xanthan gum.  It's a quick recipe to add to your gluten-free repertoire! 




Cream Biscuits (Gluten-Free)
Makes about 8 biscuits 

Ingredients: 
1 cup brown rice flour (plus a little extra)
1 cup cornstarch 
1 teaspoon xanthan gum 
2 ½ teaspoons sugar 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
¾ teaspoon kosher salt 
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream

Directions: Prepare an 8x8" or larger baking dish or cookie sheet by covering with a piece of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 425°F degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir well. Add the heavy whipping cream. Stir well. Flour a clean work surface with the extra brown rice flour and briefly knead the dough. Shape the dough into a long rectangle. Cut in half once lengthwise, then cut each long piece into four equal pieces. Place biscuits in the baking dish or on the cookie sheet, and bake for about 26 minutes. Biscuits are done with they are a light golden brown. 

Adapted from How To Make Cream Biscuits In Less Than 15 Minutes from The Kitchn. 


Olivia thought they looked delicious! Though, she may have just been after the butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment