Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pumpkin Feast in April! - Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie Pumpkin Pie + Recipe


Pumpkin pie in April? Why, yes please! I have three reasons for why this is an awesome idea:
  1. It snowed yesterday - which made me want to go back into hibernation and eat lots and lots of pie. 
  2. Pumpkin. I love pumpkin and if I could find canned pumpkin year round I'd just have 12 months of Pumpkin Feast every year. 
  3. I'm trying to clean out our cupboard and I have one last can of pumpkin puree and I didn't want to hoard it any longer. 


This delicious pie was created by Katie, the lovely lady behind the hilarious tumblr When I Went Gluten-Free and creator of the blog, Gluten Free Blondie. It seriously tastes like Thanksgiving dinner in your mouth. The crust is a giant oatmeal cookie and the pumpkin pie filling is perfect! Kenneth said it is one of his favorite things I've ever made after his first bite this afternoon. Since he is my guinea pig for all gluten-free recipes and a bit picky when it comes to dessert, I take that as a very good sign!

I made a few changes to the recipe, mostly to the flours used. I was also feeling lazy and didn't want to separate egg whites from egg yolks, so I used two eggs instead of an egg and an egg yolk. I also didn't add any nuts, so Kenneth can enjoy the pie too!



I still have some pumpkin puree left so I can continue my Pumpkin Feast even after Mother Nature gets her act together and we have warm spring weather, sunshine and flowers! I think some pumpkin muffins would be delicious at a Memorial Day barbecue, especially if it's still snowing then, right?



Oatmeal Cookie Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-Free)

Ingredients:

For the crust:

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1 1/4 cups gluten free oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla 
Canola oil

For the pumpkin pie:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree 
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9-inch pie pan by greasing lightly with canola oil. Set aside. To prepare the crust, mix together the brown rice flour, sweet sorghum flour, garbanzo bean flour, millet flour, oats, salt, baking soda, sugar and brown sugar. Stir until no clumps remain. Add the melted butter and vanilla. Use a spatula to mix in the melted butter into the dry ingredients until the dough is evenly moist and no dry ingredients remain. Use your hands to firmly press 2/3 of the crust dough into the bottom of the pie pan. Bake the crust for about 17 minutes, until it's golden, but not completely firm. 


While the crust is baking, make the pumpkin pie filling. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin puree and evaporated milk. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.


When you remove the pie crust from the oven, lightly press the dough down in the pie pan. Pour all of the pumpkin filling over the crust. Smooth out the filling with a rubber spatula or a spoon. Bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the pie pan from the oven and crumble the remaining dough over the top of the pie. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the top crust is golden brown.


Allow the pie to cool for about 30 minutes at room temperature, then put in the refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing the pie. (It will taste will be even better if you chill the pie over night!)


*You can make your own pumpkin pie spice, I prefer this recipe from Annie's Eats. Enjoy!

Adapted from Pumpkin Pie with Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookie Crust from Gluten Free Blondie.



This is the official list of "pumpkin-ized" treats we've enjoyed during Pumpkin Feast 2013/14:

No comments:

Post a Comment