Friday, June 28, 2013

Very Blue Mulberry-Raspberry Muffins + Recipe


We made these very blue mulberry-raspberry muffins today for our last day of Culinary Creations camp.  I modified the Ginger Mulberry Muffins recipe from A Spicy Perspective.  


Because of my own food sensitivities, I try to make the recipes I use in cooking camps as inclusive and adaptive as possible.  This week we had a camper who is allergic to raspberries and a camper who is lactose intolerant (which is what I thought I was until I figured out it was wheat, not dairy that was bothering me... a lot of my favorite foods include both like pizza, macaroni and cheese, and cereal with milk).  But I digress... the point is, I wanted to make sure all our campers, even those with food allergies/intolerances, could enjoy these muffins after we read If you Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff.

To replace the dairy we subbed mashed banana for 1/2 cup of butter and unsweetened applesauce for the cup of yogurt.  For our camper with a raspberry allergy, I took some of the batter before the mulberries and raspberries were added and put in strawberries to make her muffins.

The campers enjoyed their muffins and the camp experience this week - I had a great time too, but am pretty tired! Ready to sleep in tomorrow and take it easy!

Mulberry-Raspberry Muffins (Dairy Free)
Makes approximately 15 muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
½ cup mashed banana
½ cup sugar
¼ cup honey
1 large egg
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ½ cups mulberries and black raspberries
¼ cup brown sugar

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger, and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the mashed banana, sugar, honey, egg and applesauce. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Add the mulberries and raspberries into the batter. Scoop the batter evenly among 15-16 lined muffin cups or greased muffin pans. Sprinkle the ¼ cup of brown sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes then turn them out of the pans to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment